Tuesday, August 7, 2012

The 22 Project: NYC - episode 16


One day I posted a update on Facebook that said, "Does anyone in New York know where I can find a lobby or something with a piano? My fingers are itching and I already packed my keyboard for shipping... :/"  Question for my musicians out there - do you ever get those urges?  Sometimes I really feel like singing, but I find I'm in public and it scares me.  After I posted that status, a friend of mine commented, "Why don't you go to a hotel or whatever and tell them you'll play a night for free?"  I thought she was nuts.  It seemed silly at the time, but a week later I went back and her comment had three Likes and a follow up that seconded her suggestion.

So I searched hotels, called a few numbers, pretended to be someone hired to play the piano, tried to reach the people who book the "lobby entertainment," and it was all for nothing.  I wound up just walking inside, sitting down, and playing the stinking piano.



And it was splendid.

On my way out, the 22 Project came to life - in reverse.  A man stopped me just outside the hotel lobby.  He was outside for a smoke break, but I'd seen him indoors.  He said, "You play beautifully."  I thanked him, and he followed with, "You are very good. And I know music."

My inner reaction was, "OMFG THIS GUY IS GOING TO SIGN ME TO A RECORD CONTRACT! I'VE BEEN FOUND! AH! MY DREAMS ARE COMING TRUE! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!"

I asked him, "Oh really? What do you mean?"

And that's how I met Mike, a man whose son runs a recording studio in Malibu, California.  He just started, and the place is booming.  Apparently small business isn't in trouble in the music industry – of course, big business in the music industry is in enough trouble for everyone.

Mike, the man with the musical son, wouldn't let me take a picture with him because, I quote, his "wife would be very, extremely upset" with him.  He said I could write about him as part of the 22, and so here he is.  I'm looking up that studio the minute I get to CA.





1 comment:

  1. Wow I remember this! Did you ever look up the guy with the small music business?

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive